Total Pageviews

Tuesday 19 February 2008

Points, Signals and Lever frames

Trackwork has progressed but really isn't that interesting. More interesting is the way that my mind has started wandering. I was trying to work out how to arrange the interlocking and control of the points. Doing a bit of research I came across these lever frames from an Australian company called Modratec.


They come as a custom-made kit that you assemble. With a clever bit of software you design the interlocking and functions you want and they provide all the tappets and locks to give you a proper lever frame. I could then use this with the point motors, signals and even facing point locks to operte properly. They're not cheap but, compared with a lever frame from MSE or similar, they become quite reasonable for a load of operability. Even better my dad, as an FR trained signalman, would hopefully help with organising it and getting me to run it properly.

All of this has also led me to look at signals. Assuming Bethania is at the joining of 2 block sections and with the quarry line as well this starts getting a bit complex; incredibly complex compared to the NWNGR who had essentially given up on signals by the 1920s! Oh well, off to research whichever McKenzie and Holland signals they used and try to work out how it would operate.

No comments: