Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 February 2008

Motors and Locos



This photo shows the outcome of my efforts at building a circuit. Modratec use SPST switches and they showed a circuit using an Op Amp that can power a Tortoise which would usually use a DPDT to switch the current. I don't really understand how it works but it does. A pair of LEDs were used to show which way the point had motored; these will be used to show the route chosen on the control panel for the layout.


Apart from a Chivers Russell on a slightly dubious Minitrix chassis this is my current loco stable. the Ruston and Hunslet were aquired through Ebay but the Avonside was built by me for a previous layout based on the Penrhyn Quarry Rly. The lining looks better in the photo than in real life! Unfortunately both the Ruston and Avonside are too late for the period I'm modelling but I'm sure they'll still come out for the odd run. I'm a big fan of the Hunslets but this one has two problems; firstly it has massive flanges which become a bit of an issue through some of my points with the increased back-to-back sizings and, secondly, it doesn't have outside frames like the original. I may think about trying to fabricate some and fitting extended flycranks but that's all for a much later day, especially as 0-4-0 Hunslets were not a feature of the NWNGR.
In the mean time I have a Chivers kit for the NWNGR Single Fairlie, Moel Tryfan. This has been bought alonside a new Dapol GWR Prairie chassis which is lovely. Runs increadibly, has fine rods and the chemically darkened metal looks great. Technically it's 2mm short and the drive should be to the rear axle rather than the centre one but I think it'll be ok. Even better is that it has fine flanges and a 7mm back-to-back so I won't have to adjust the wheels on the axles, phew!



No comments: